Tuesday 26 June 2007

End of term-itis

9.00 Get to the office. This morning there are some interesting sessions in the stock exchanges conference. Carol goes. I start working on various papers and points for speeches next week. On Friday I talk to TMPDF and three judges are coming. Feeling sick and suffering from hay fever so decide I can not face a lunch.

14.00 ECON prep meeting. One of those least said soonest mended sessions. I reckon some colleagues must be feeling even worse than me. Andreas Losco does a grand job trying to be peacemaker. I can not really work out what the problem is. I think this is what teachers must call end of term-itis.

15.00 Back to the office where I lurk for as long as possible to get through the papers. I go down to ECON at 4.45 for the session with Neelie Kroes. I get there just in time to hear Jonathan Evans giving a bit of stick about the deletion of undistorted competition from the treaty amendments. If I heard correctly I think he got into it by suggesting that a few members of the Council and Commission would learn a lot from attending a Competition Day! I lead the desk banging.

Neelie is robust in her response to this and other related points saying that the protocol is as binding as the treaty and there is no downgrading and she will not be doing anything differently. It is true nothing has been taken out of the treaty, it is just that a proposed amendment has been changed.

20.00 I go back to my flat having given apologies earlier today for not going to the Gala dinner at the Bourse. I would not be good company sniffling away.