Thursday 15 March 2007

Kashmir and trilogue

9.00 Our Lib Dem meeting on Kashmir. Emma presents the compromise amendments. A lot of these we are happy with. I say that I would like the first half of my amendment 15 added to the front on compromise 10. I hand out a proposal that I have prepared with Rachel (Saj’s assistant). This acknowledges the right of self determination. The rest of that compromise then lays out why at the present time it is not possible. Emma seems reluctant but Elspeth agrees with me, then also Chris says having such a reference is his bottom line too. Graham says that there is a majority in committee without my amendment. Fiona then weighs in and says we do need a reference all the more so when so much of the report says why it is not possible now. We move on and come to the same point in compromise 12. Andrew thinks the reference to self determination fits better there. We seem to get agreement from Emma.


10.15 Back in the office. Start to read the latest papers on payments ready for the trilogue this afternoon. Andrew pops in to say he thinks we may have got a result with the Kashmir discussion this morning. He agrees that it was a good thing I had produced something in writing.

11.00 Telephone call with a journalist doing a piece for a Hampshire magazine. She had written to me as an individual and was pleased with my reply and so is writing an article about the best way to contact MPs and MEPs.

11.30 A former Irish MEP pops in. He is now working for some hedge fund organisation and has been referred to me. He wants me to co sponsor a discussion dinner. That is fine, We then discuss Irish politics. He used to be leader of our Northern Ireland sister party, the Alliance, before John Alderdice. Then he moved to the Republic and became an MEP. So I ask him all the questions I never dared to ask about the Irish political parties. Carol listens in. Not sure if she is interested or wondering why I never knew all that.

12.00 Votes. My fix on Euro-Med free trade is moved and accepted.

14.30 We have a ‘trilogue’ meeting with Commission and Council on payments. Really more of an update. The translators not there so we work in a French/English hybrid.

17.00 I go to vote on the human rights resolutions then continue with phone callms and paperwork until about 8.00pm. I am on the early flight back tomorrow morning as I did not know how long the trilogue would be. On Saturday I go to Bexhill and Battle for their annual lunch.