Thursday 22 March 2007

Close votes on roaming

8.30 get my Eurostar ticket. Suddenly little Easter Eggs are appearing everywhere including at the ticket desk. I nobly resist.

9.00 Arrive in office and review emails and start to collect thoughts on payments. Then I get an SOS to go and vote on the Internal Market committee which is voting today on roaming. Get there for 10.00 and we take the best part of an hour to finish the votes. Many are won by ‘our side’ 22 to 21 including the final vote, so just as well I got there otherwise nothing would have been passed!

11.00 I have a meeting with the Commission on the statistics supervisory board. I am not convinced of the need! When they go we have the German Presidency on the phone wanting to come and see me on the same subject, but I have a lunch to go to so decline.

12.15 Lunch to discuss upcoming IP issues.

14.30 Back in the office and we have the final texts coming through for out meeting at 16.00. Read these then head off for the Council offices.

16.00 Trilogue meeting. More big guns there from the Presidency (the ambassador) and Commission. It all goes according to known positions with the Parliament trying to squeeze some concessions but beyond some extra clarity I do not think there will be a great deal. That suits me and the UK.

18.00 leave for Eurostar.